Find the information you need on health conditions, natural health products, healthy living, and more in our comprehensive, clinically reviewed library.
COVID-19: What to do if you get sick
COVID-19 is known to share many symptoms with the common flu virus. Some mild symptoms like running nose, dry coughing, or fever may not be cause for alarm. However, if you are having severe symptoms like difficulty breathing or other respiratory issues, call 9-1-1 immediately and advise them of your symptoms and travel history.
If you are concerned that you may have been exposed to or are experiencing mild symptoms of COVID-19, the following steps will help protect you and reduce the spread of illness to others:
- Call your primary health care provider or local public health agency to discuss your symptoms over the phone
- Visit your Ministry of Health website for available self-assessment questionnaires to determine if you need to seek further care
- Stay home and self-isolate (unless directed to seek medical care)
- Avoid public transportation
- Avoid visitors and individuals in hospitals and long-term care centres, especially those at risk of developing severe illnesses
- Limit contact with pets and other animals
- Have supplies delivered to your home and left outside
- Practice good hygiene
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your elbow when coughing and sneezing
- Clean your hands often
- Wear a mask and maintain a 2-metre distance from others
- Avoid sharing personal household items
- Clean and disinfect all "high-touch" surfaces everyday
- Self-monitor, self-isolate, and get medical attention immediately if your condition changes to show more severe symptoms
While not all flu-like symptoms are directly related to COVID-19, it is always best to be cautious and think of the well-being of others. At the very least, remain indoors for a 14-day quarantine period to determine if your symptoms become worse over time.
All material copyright MediResource Inc. 1996 – 2020. Terms and conditions of use. The contents herein are for informational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Source: www.medbroadcast.com/healthfeature/gethealthfeature/COVID-19-What-to-do-if-you-get-sick
All material © 1996-2020 MediResource Inc. Terms and conditions of use. The contents herein are for informational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Refill your prescriptions