The pharmacy is still the heart of our business.
What is Holter monitoring?
A Holter monitor is a wearable EKG (electrocardiogram) device that continuously records a person's heart's rhythms. The monitor is worn for a 24- to 48-hour period as a person goes about their normal daily activity.
Your physician may prescribe Holter monitoring in order to detect any heart rhythm abnormalities or irregularities, monitor the effectiveness of heart medications, or check the functioning of a pacemaker. Holter monitoring may also be prescribed to evaluate other symptoms that may be related to heart health, including fatigue, shortness of breath, or dizziness.
Why use the London Drugs Holter monitoring service?
Select London Drugs locations offer 30-minute Holter monitoring appointments (followed by a briefer follow-up appointment for monitor removal). Appointments are conveniently available during store hours - days, nights, and weekends.
How to use the Holter monitoring service
- Talk to your physician. The Holter monitoring service at London Drugs requires a prescription. Please check with your physician before calling to schedule an appointment.
- Find your location. Holter monitoring is only available in select London Drugs locations in British Columbia. Call any London Drugs to ask a pharmacy staff member about the availability of the service in your area. The service is covered by the Medical Services Plan in British Columbia (fees may apply outside of British Columbia).
- Set up an appointment. Since a Holter monitoring appointment requires a trained pharmacy staff member, it's best to call ahead to set up an appointment so you can plan ahead and make the most of your consultation time.
Prepare for your appointment. At your initial appointment, a trained pharmacy staff member will fit you with a monitor and instruct you in its use.
For the fitting of the Holter monitor, disposable skin sensors are attached to the chest. Occasionally, irritation or redness may appear where the sensors are attached. This will return to normal once the monitor is removed. Cables connect the sensors to a small, battery-powered monitor. The monitor is small enough to be easily carried as you go about your day.
In preparation for the fitting, follow these instructions:
- Shower or bathe just before your appointment. You'll need to wear the monitor continuously and the sensors should not get wet.
- DO NOT use lotions, perfumes, powders, or other topical creams.
- Wear comfortable clothing that opens at the front, such as a buttoned shirt instead of a T-shirt.
- Bring a list of all current prescribed medications and herbal remedies you are using.
- WOMEN: DO NOT wear full slips but DO wear a comfortable bra, as you will be required to wear it for the entire recording procedure.
MEN: Please shave your upper chest prior to appointment so skin sensors can be attached.
At a follow-up appointment, your Holter monitor will be removed and the data will be sent to your physician for review.